Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Yummy, gooey, crunchy, soft contraband



As part of my saving money and decluttering drive I've realised I need to keep better track of the groceries we've already got on hand (so back you go, redundant package of black sesame seeds). We were needing something yummy, gooey, crunchy and soft and I unearthed a package of sliced pecans I'd semi-forgotten about. Mmmmm, these could become pecan squares I thought to myself (I was feeling a bit flaked out, if you'll pardon the pun, from the recent pie-making so didn't go to chocolate pie-crust pecan pie, which, of course, was my first mental stop on the pecan goody train). These turned out Gorgeous, just Gorgeous!! As I slipped them into the oven I realised Max could not take them to school as the school is nut-free. Ah well, better make him some Chocolate Spice Cookies then. Fortunately we were sent one heck of a wind storm which knocked out power to the school, giving us a chance to eat Every Last Pecan Square and me a chance to make the Chocolate Spice Cookies.

Pecan Squares

For the Shortbread base:
3/4 cup of butter, softened*
1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
2 cups white flour
scattering of chocolate chips (optional!)

For the gooey pecan top:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/3 cup honey
2 1/2 cups (roughly) pecans
2 tbs cream (ran out of cream, used milk, seemed fine to me)

Making the shortbread: blend the butter and sugar thoroughly, then add the flour till combined. Put the dough in a lightly greased 8 by 8 square pan (or thereabouts) and press. Bake the base until firm, about 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, until firm and lightly browned. When it comes out, if you like, scatter the chocolate chips about straightaway.

Making the pecan topping: While the shortbread base is cooking, chop the pecans if not already chopped (though why you'd buy whole pecans for a recipe indicating chopped is beyond me: ergonomics, bakers, ergonomics!). Melt the butter slowly (burned butter seldom being a good idea) and stir in the brown sugar, honey and cream. Remember how hot this is and do not touch it, even if it does look really good. Simmer for a minute, stirring a little. Stir in the pecans, Bob's your uncle. Pour the pecan ooze over the base and pop it back in the oven. Given that the base is already cooked it's a good idea to put it on a cookie sheet so that the base does not overcook. Maybe tent the top with tin foil so that it doesn't over-brown. cook till most of the filling is bubbling and then whip it out. Let it cook, significantly, and then ... ooooooh :)

* recipes almost always specify unsalted butter, but it costs more and in my possible ignorance I figure that if recipes asking for unsalted then always ask you to put salt in the recipe, well, I'm skipping the middle man here and just using regular old salted butter. If you really like unsalted, or understand the mysterious behind buying unsalted and then putting salt in the recipe, well, it would be about 1/2 tsp of salt back in. But I don't see the point really.

No comments:

Post a Comment